Wednesday, February 28, 2007

a whole new found respect

Work went well today. I am the executive housekeeper of a Hampton inn and suites. Work in the winters slow down a bit and so do hours for my housekeepers. We work in a resort town that has snowmobile trials and a winter carnival. Until we get snow there are no guest. Everyone gets in winter mode and everything slows down. The housekeepers work just as hard because I make them. If they slow down we wont be ready when summer hits the lake. We finally got a storm and everyone was thrilled. Thrilled because we were looking forward to the snowmobile trails to open up so we could get better business. That's what happened. The problem was we thought we were ready.

There are 93 rooms in the hotel and 6 housekeepers to do the job. When we are booked up there's no way the math adds up. I, according to policy can't ask them to do any more than 16 rooms in an 8 hour shift. 16 times 6 is 96. It would work but someone needs a day off. I never have all 6 on at once. So we ended up booked. Great. We worked so hard to get the house turned over for the next days arrivals. booked again. Another day of staying late for me and 2 housekeepers getting over time. Finally after 4 days in a row of this my day off comes around. Not sure if I'm going to be able to take it off or not due to the quitting of my assistant I was not in the best of moods. Boss man steps up to the plate. joy joy

Today. Back form my days off to get everyone asking what they can do to help the keepers and I. I had no clue why till our managers meeting. The boss man aparentaly not having a great time covering me asks me how the hell I've been doing it the last few days. I told him all it took was me staying till almost 8 pm ever night. He said if i need any help with anything to just ask him. I have him at my disposal.

Feels great when someone walks in your shoes and realizes they don't fit.

No comments: